Labels

Monday, May 6, 2013

Week 10 Hangzhou, China 2011


Week 10

Wuzhen
As a reward to the students and to celebrate the end of exams, the International College of Zhejiang University organized a trip to Wuzhen for all of the international students. The reserved at least 8 charter buses to take us there. I know this because I was on bus number 8, though I suspect there were more. We had to be on the bus, ready to go at 6:50 in the morning. Unfortunately, that morning, my alarm didn’t go off (probably because I didn’t turn it on the night before…). Maryann knocked on my door at 6:45 and woke me up. Thankfully I had taken a shower the night before and was able to scramble to get myself ready quickly. The bus ride to Wuzhen was mostly uneventful since everyone was sleeping.
            It was raining that day and rainy days are never fun. I probably would have enjoyed the trip more if the weather were better. That goes without saying though. When we arrived everyone piled off the bus and the teachers just pointed at the entrance to the traditional village we were visiting. I felt like we were a herd of 500 international cows being corralled toward a holding pen. Once we all got inside everyone split up and wandered around the narrow winding streets at their own pace. Traditional Wuzhen is a canal town. Within the town were various themed mini-museums you could visit. One was a traditional Chinese bed museum. I’m not a museum person, so it didn’t really thrill me. I would rather do something than walk around and look at things. I need to be engaged in my activities for me to really appreciate them.

Shaoxing
Li Laoshi too us on an excursion to Shaoxing the next day and it was a much better trip. Lars, Jamie, and Maryann opted not to go since they had visited Shaoxing the previous weekend with their Modern Chinese Literature class. Lily and Nicole are also in the literature class, but they still went with the rest of us. Lily didn’t go on the other trip because she was sick that day and Nicole didn’t mind traveling to Shaoxing again.That morning, Li Laoshi rented a van to chauffer us around for the day. This was much better than taking the long distance bus, in my opinion. On the way we talked about the things we were going to see that day.
Shaoxing is the hometown of a famous Chinese writer: Lu Xun. He wrote a lot of short stories during the New Culture Movement and most of his stories contain social commentary criticizing traditional Chinese society. His most famous story is “Madman’s Diary.” This story is structured like a diary and is narrated by a man who, the readers are lead to believe, has gone insane. The narrator has delusions of persecution, convinced that the people in his village want to kill and eat him. It’s been a tradition in this village to eat people, and even though they know it’s morally wrong they continue to do it because of the tradition. I highly recommend reading it.
The first place we visited was Lu Xun’s home, which has been turned into a tourist location. The site was a collection of homes that Lu Xun’s family owned throughout generations. All the houses were next to each other. The homes were structured like most traditional Chinese homes. There are sections of the house that have different rooms (all with individual and different purposes) and each section is separated by a small courtyard. Instead of spreading out width-wise, the homes have depth. They go back from the entrance. Every doorway has an elevated threshold that rises about a foot off the ground. When entering a room, it’s important to step over this threshold and not on top of it. Doing so would be a sign of disrespect. Just like today’s societies, the larger the homes, the wealthier the family living in it.
Directly opposite from the houses were typically tourist shops selling food and souvenirs. It was in this place that I was introduced to the scent of Chao Doufu aka “Stinky Tofu.” It’s a special kind of tofu that, when cooked, gives off a distinctive unpleasant odor. Seriously, it smells bad. I can’t bring myself to eat it because of the smell. I’ve been told that it actually tastes really good. I guess, since I’m not eating it, there will be more for those who enjoy it.
The second place we traveled to was East Lake. West Lake is in Hangzhou and it’s one of the most popular locations to visit in the city. East Lake, though smaller, was still beautiful and fun to visit. The first thing we saw when we got there were these giant inflatable balls, big enough to fit a person inside. It was an attraction that allowed you to get inside the balls and float around on the lake. We all got really excited when we saw this and immediately wanted to play in them. I was the last one to get into my ball, which was tethered to a dock so I didn’t float away aimlessly. It was really surreal – like being inside a bubble or a balloon. The only sounds I could hear were the ones I made myself. I couldn’t understand what anyone was saying to me from the outside of my ball. I immediately fell down the second my ball got in the water. It was impossible for me to keep my balance. Everyone else had figured out how to stand and run in their balls and were busy crashing into each other. I tried and tried again but it was no use. I felt like a toddler learning to walk for the first time – constantly falling down with a ‘plop’, sitting confused for a moment before stubbornly standing up and trying again. Eventually I gave up and enjoyed the sensation of laying on the cool water. That was a dangerous decision because, after a while, my paranoia began to kick in. What if the ball got a hole and water started to leek in? How would I get out? Would they be able to reel me in before I drowned? What if I suffocated while I was inside? Just as I was beginning to have these thoughts my time was up and I was pulled back to the dock. I’m glad I got to experience this because I don’t think I’ll ever do it again. I’ve scared myself too much.
We rented boats (a little larger than canoes) to ride around the lake. Interestingly, the drivers of the boats use one foot to row the boat. They have a second oar they use to steer. It’s a part of culture that is going out of style, so all of the drivers were old men in their late 60s early 70s. The boats were small so only 2 – 3 people (plus the driver) could ride at a time. All of the drivers were interested in seeing us (foreigners) and were very eager to say “Hello” to us when they saw us. They were all very nice and friendly people.
The last place we went to that day was a Calligraphy Garden. This place was made to honor one of the most prominent calligraphers in China’s history. It is said that his calligraphy (essentially his handwriting) was so beautiful, even today professionals cannot match his skill. The park is not only set up for people to observe and appreciate his calligraphy, but they can also practice their own writing as well. There are multiple venues where people can practice. First there is a sand pit where people can write characters in the sand. There are also slabs of stone that people can write on with water. The stones are special because they allow the water to evaporate quickly. A person could essentially practice writing their calligraphy for hours with these stones. Li Laoshi tried to teach me some techniques, much like you would teach a child to write. She took my hand and guided it as I held the brush. Calligraphy is difficult because not only do you have to remember the stroke order of the characters (which is VERY important) but you also have to remember how much pressure to apply to the brush in different parts of the character. Too much and the line will be too fat, too little and it will be too skinny – both are signs of ugly characters. A good piece of calligraphy is a well balanced character in size, proportion, and line prominence.
Needless to say we were all really tired when the day was over so most of us slept in the van on the way back to Hanzhou.

No comments:

Post a Comment