Labels

Monday, May 6, 2013

Week 4 Hangzhou, China 2011


Week 4
            One cultural difference I noticed this week was the Chinese attitude toward alcohol. There is no drinking age in China, so (theoretically) anyone can drink and purchase alcohol.  This is not the case in America because a person needs to be at least 21 years old to buy and drink alcohol. So I was very surprised by the laid back attitude the Chinese people have toward alcohol. In America there is an issue with underage binge drinking but, from what I can tell, that’s not an issue in China. I wonder if it is because all of the high school students are too busy studying for the gaokao or if it is just a cultural difference. Well, anyway, the laid back attitude is what strikes me as the most interesting. For example, my Comprehension teacher – Guo Laoshi – brought a bottle of Huang jiu to class for us to try. Literally Huang jiu translates to yellow wine but it looked and smelled more like pure vinegar. It was disgusting. Out of all of the nasty alcoholic drinks I’ve tasted (which is biased because I think that the majority of alcoholic beverages taste gross) it was the worst. Maryanne and I were shocked that a teacher would actually serve her students alcohol, even if we were all college age students. It struck us as a very strange occurrence – so strange that I have trouble explaining why I found it weird.
---------------
This week we had visitors from the University of New Jersey come to evaluate the Central College program. They were sampling various study abroad programs throughout China to see which ones suited the needs of their university. They sat in on my Comprehension class, which I now share with Maryanne. Needless to say, they were impressed with Guo Laoshi’s teaching. Later that day they interviewed us (all of the Central College Program students) about our impressions of the program and China in general. It was a pretty standard group interview, but through this exchange it became very clear to me that these two men did not have much understanding or appreciation for China and its culture. One would think that if a university was considering adding China to their list of places to study abroad, they would send a representative with some background knowledge – otherwise the trip is pointless.
---------------
Recently, I’ve been frustrated with my limited language ability. I know the words but when I mispronounce them or when I’m not understood, I get frustrated and my mind shuts down. When this happens it’s like I can’t think of the Chinese I need to say anymore. So I panic and switch to English. Then I get angry with myself for not trying harder to speak Chinese. Other times I think of sentences in my head but I am so unsure of myself that I never end up saying them. I tell myself that I am satisfied knowing that I was able to form that sentence on my own, but I know that it’s not enough I think I would be more compelled to practice speaking Chinese if I had more Chinese friends. Unfortunately it’s hard to make friends when you can’t fully communicate with them. Also all of the Chinese friends I already have speak English very well, so there’s no need to speak Chinese. I know this goes without saying, but it’s easier and more natural for me to speak English. Thus I find myself using it as a fall back for communication.. It’s becoming clear to me that a language barrier has multiple levels. It’s not only speaking, but also listening and comprehending. Then there’s the issue of reading and writing that seems like a near impossible task some days. I wish I had more confidence, but that comes with practice and with time.
            At the same time, though, I feel like I’ve learned and retained more Chinese during the short time that I’ve been here than I learned in a month of Chinese class back home. With this thought, I have more confidence that every day my Chinese will get better. Even if it’s just a small amount, like learning one new word or pronouncing a phrase correctly, it will improve over time. I just need to be diligent and patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment