Labels

Monday, May 6, 2013

Week 6 Hangzhou, China 2011


Week 6

This week my friends Penny and Chen Rong introduced me to the Chinese version of Ebay called taobao. The stuff sold on taobao is not high quality nor is it always authentic. But it’s dirt cheap. Basically it’s an evil website that will eat all your money if you allow it. Ryan and I have wanted to play soccer for a while now but neither of us brought our gear from home. So Chen Rong and Penny offered to help us buy new stuff. For me, I needed some shin guards, a jersey to protect my arms from the coarse Astroturf, and (of course) some gloves. In total I spent around $25 on all of this via taobao. Normally it would have cost me over $100 with about $80 for the gloves alone. The shipping is incredibly fast too. I got everything I ordered within days (not weeks) of ordering it. Unfortunately, since there are so few girls playing soccer in China, it was hard to find gloves in my size. The ones I ordered came in and they were twice the size of what I needed. Even though I specified the size I needed, the gloves themselves were fake and thus did not meet the sizing criteria of authentic ADIDAS gloves. I had to send them back and order a different pair.
The weather is warming up and I’m starting to realize that I did not bring a satisfactory amount of warm-weather clothing. Also, I’m bored of wearing jeans and a shirt every day. I want to make an effort to be more presentable and more fashionable every day. To do so, I need to revamp my wardrobe. I may buy some new clothes through taobao since I can’t find any size larger than a small in the local boutiques. I should mention that I don’t want to spend 300 yuan on a shirt when I can spend 50 instead. I really only intend to buy a couple sun dresses and maybe a skirt or two. I hope I can find something that fits me. It’s not that I consider myself fat (I’ve actually lost a lot of weight since I’ve been here) it’s just that the female Asian body type is very different from my own. Also I’ve noticed that Asian fashion is quite different than the style of clothes I’m accustomed to wearing. That could either be a good thing or a bad thing. Either it will give me a fresh new look for my wardrobe OR I’ll look like a damn fool. I’m willing to take the risk because you never know… and besides, I’m on an adventure anyway, it’s only fitting that I be a little daring!

Li Laoshi is out of town for a couple weeks so she can attend a conference back in Iowa. This means that we have a couple free weekends to do whatever we want. Courtney, Nicole, Jamie, Lars and I wanted to go to Suzhou this past weekend. Only Jamie and Lars ended up going, however, due to some complications that occurred while the rest of us were in transit. Allow me to explain: Courtney and I have our ESL class till 5:00 on Fridays. It normally takes about 40 minutes to get to the long distance bus station. The bus to Suzhou was set to leave at 7:00, so we figured we had plenty of time to get there. However, we were traveling in the middle of rush-hour traffic. When the three of us found ourselves stuck down town at 6:45 with 9 stops to go, we gave up on our travel plans. Instead we treated ourselves to a nice dinner and went back to help celebrate Lily’s 20th birthday. The three of us agreed that even though we couldn’t travel we would still make an effort to explore Hangzhou on our own.
Some of the things we considered doing were: visiting more gardens so we could enjoy the plum flowers while they lasted and going back to the traditional street to shop. On Saturday (Lily’s birthday) Courtney and I went with Lily and our Chinese friend Felix to the traditional street so that Lily could find a good birthday present. I found some postcards that had pictures from the Cultural Revolution on them and even some slogans which I thought were really cool. I didn’t buy them though because I still haven’t used all my postcards from Shanghai. Instead I bought myself a journal with Zhou Enlai on the cover. Zhou Enlai is one of my favorite figures in Chinese history, and I used his last name in my own Chinese name (Zhou Kailin) for that reason. Lily wanted to go to a garden after dinner, but the three of us got lost in the dark and before we knew it we found ourselves under the overpass of the highway. We decided that we should just take a taxi back to campus since it was already 9:30 and that we could visit the garden another time. Hailing a taxi was harder than I thought. In the past, Li Laoshi has been able to find open taxis very easily. We were not so lucky. I learned that just because their green light is turned on, it doesn’t always mean that the taxi is free. It was frustrating trying to get what a thought was a free taxi to pull over just to discover, as they drove past, that there was someone already in the car. Eventually we found a spot were the taxis could safely pull over and stop for us, that wasn’t already congested with people trying to get a taxi themselves. One taxi we tried to hail slowed down and started to pull over like he was going to stop for us, but then, at the last second, it swerved back into the street and sped away. Talk about disappointment… Fortunately we were able to get the next one that came our way.
 Nicole likes to ride horses and even has a couple of her own back in Virginia (where she’s from). Li Laoshi found her a place in town where she could go ride. Courtney and I wanted to accompany her to see the horses and maybe even ride the horses ourselves. That was our plan for Sunday but it, again, failed to happen. The bus we needed to take was too crowded for us to ride. Buses in China can get crowded fast. Riding on a crowded bus is something I haven’t grown accustomed to yet. Personal space is non-existent, so it’s common for you to find yourself pressed up against a complete stranger with someone else breathing down your neck. Sometimes there are enough people that you don’t have to hang on to anything because if the bus suddenly stops, the people are packed in so tight there’s nowhere to fall. Anyway, bus Y5, the one we needed to take to get to the horses was so full the driver didn’t even open the doors to let more people on. People were already pressed against the windows and doors so it was clear that there was just physically no room for any more passengers. We waited for three bus cycles and each time bus Y5 was equally as crowded. We gave up on that route and decided we would try to take a taxi instead. It was impossible to find a taxi in the middle of the afternoon. Every time we spotted a free one, a Chinese person would beat us to it. It’s a lot easier for them because they know exactly where they’re going. We, on the other hand, stumble through the pronunciation a couple times before the taxi driver can understand what we’re trying to say. There was no time for stumbling that day though and in the end, we had to admit defeat.
Even though we didn’t have the weekend we’d originally planned, I was able to learn something important about the Chinese public transportation system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment