Labels

Monday, May 6, 2013

Week 8 Hangzhou, China 2011


Week 8

            I’ve recently been debating on whether to grow my hair long again, or if I should keep it short. I kept putting off making any decision because part of me was nervous about getting a hair cut in China. It’s not like I’m a boy and all I have to say is: “Just make it short.” I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to communicate what I wanted. But after three consecutive bad hair days, I decided to bite the bullet and hope for the best. Besides, I’m going to be in a lot of pictures in the months to come, I want to make sure I look good. I grow my hair out again when I don't need to care about how it looks when it’s in those awkward middle stages. Just to be sure I got something close to what I wanted, I found a picture of a similar hair style to what I had before and brought it with me to show the stylist. Chen Rong went with me to the salon because Penny was busy. And besides, she wanted to get her hair cut too. The place we went to was much nicer than any salon I had ever been to. Chen Rong explained that it was one of the nicer places in town but the hair cuts were still cheap. First we got our hair cleaned. We had the option of a ‘wet clean’ or a ‘dry clean.’ I didn’t understand the difference so I just chose the same as Chen Rong (dry clean). They just applied some product to our dry hair and it lathered like shampoo without water. The employees (who were all men, strangely) massaged my scalp while working the product into my hair. Then we went and rinsed it out of my hair. Since I couldn’t understand what he was saying to me, the employee had to physically push and tug me into whatever sitting/laying back position he needed me to be in. I felt bad for him, but at the same time this vocabulary wasn’t covered in my class yet so what could I do? The next step was an upper body massage including my neck, shoulders, arms and hands. I wasn’t expecting it but after I got over my initial shock, I really enjoyed it. It was much needed because I was still sore from riding horses and playing soccer. The hair cut itself was in a different room from the massages. Again, all the actual stylists were men. This was the first time a man had ever cut my hair so it was a weird concept to wrap my head around. He was extremely focused on his task and made sure to take his time. Or at least that’s what it felt like because it was also the longest hair cut of my life. I think he had to focus more because my hair is a different texture from Asian hair which he was used to working with. I asked if he could give me some bangs like in the picture I had picked out. I have a cowlick that usually prevents me from having bangs, but it was a part of the picture I showed to him so I expected him to just imitate the picture. He found the cowlick, however, and told Chen Rong that he couldn’t give me bangs because of it. Chen Rong explained to me that the Chinese word for cowlick translates to something beautiful. So to have a cowlick is like having a beauty mark in Chinese culture. I am happy with how my hair turned out and now I know that I have a reliable place to go to when I need to cut it again in a month or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment